All About Menstruation (Periods)

107 people found this helpful - 38 Comments

Menstruation, also known as a period, is when a woman loses blood at the end of a menstrual cycle.

This typically occurs as a result of having an unfertilized egg. Each cycle, your body releases an egg. This is called ovulation and it usually happens about two weeks before your next period.

Before the egg is released, your body will prepare for pregnancy. This will happen regardless of whether you had sex during that cycle. The body prepares for a fertilized egg by thickening the lining of the uterine wall to provide a place for the fertilized egg to implant. After about 14 days, if your body has not produced a fertilized egg, it will shed the uterine lining and your menstrual cycle will begin again.

All About Menstruation

Most women have their period for three to seven days.

Can you get pregnant during your period?

Most women are fertile for up to six days each cycle, five days before ovulation and up to 24 hours after ovulation. The egg that is released only survives for up to 24 hours. If fertilization does not occur within this time the egg will degenerate.

Although it's possible to get pregnant during your period, it's unlikely. If a woman with a 24-day cycle has sex on the seventh day of her period, she could ovulate three days later and become pregnant. Although the egg only survives for 24 hours, sperm can live in your body for up to about five days

Do not discount the possibility of pregnancy just because you had sex during your period. If you are feeling symptoms that seem similar to pregnancy, such as lower abdominal cramping, spotting, breast tenderness, moodiness or a missed period, go ahead and take a pregnancy test. It is also a good idea to abstain from drinking, smoking or any other risky behavior until you know for sure.

If you have irregular periods or are not keeping track of your menstrual cycle, you may think you have your period, but you may be experiencing spotting or light bleeding between periods. This happens to some women when they ovulate, and if you do not know when to expect your period, you may mistake this bleeding for a period. Having sex during this time can lead to pregnancy.

Does a late period mean miscarriage?

There are many things that can have an impact on your cycle, and late periods happen. Even women who have 28-day cycles that usually run like clockwork can have a late period every now and again. It does not necessarily mean that you have miscarried, but there is something called a chemical pregnancy that may or may not have occurred.

What is a chemical pregnancy?

A chemical pregnancy is when conception occurs, but the woman has a miscarriage before the pregnancy could have been confirmed via ultrasound. This means that a gestational sac would not have been detected on a scan. Actually, the only way you would have known that you were pregnant is if you took a biochemical test, such as an hCG blood test or a home pregnancy test, which checks levels of hCG hormone in your urine. The pregnancy changes from chemical to clinical at the point when an ultrasound can detect a gestational sac, which normally happens around the fifth week of gestation.

How can I identify a chemical pregnancy?

Since a miscarriage of a chemical pregnancy would take place so early, you probably would not yet have any pregnancy symptoms, such as morning sickness or breast tenderness. So for most women, a pregnancy test is the only way to know that you were pregnant. If you saw a positive result and then got your period, there is a chance that you had a chemical pregnancy. Truthfully, you may have had previous chemical pregnancies and not known about them because you were not tracking your cycle as closely or testing as early.

What causes this type of miscarriage?

It's believed that the reasons for miscarrying in early pregnancy are the same as for miscarrying later. The popular belief is that these pregnancies are not viable because of severe chromosomal abnormalities. But still, it is nearly impossible to know for sure what causes a miscarriage this early because it is impossible to sample any of the tissue for testing.

Will a chemical pregnancy affect my chances of conceiving in the future?

Any miscarriage can be devastating, but more than 85 percent of women who miscarry (regardless of when) are able to get pregnant again and have healthy babies. Your chances of having another miscarriage are about the same as any other mother-to-be: About 15 percent for any woman under 35 years of age.

Is it normal to grieve after a chemical pregnancy?

Not every woman will grieve after such an early loss of pregnancy, but if you do, know that your feelings are valid. A miscarriage is a miscarriage; so do not let anyone tell you that you do not have a right to be sad. The reason most women do not grieve over the loss is because they may not have even known they were pregnant, or it may have happened at a time when they saw a positive home pregnancy test but were waiting for a doctor to confirm the news. In other words, it may not have fully sunken in for them that they had conceived.

Amenorrhea (no period)

Amenorrhea is a symptom that refers to the absence of a menstrual period.

Two types of amenorrhea

Primary amenorrhea refers to a complete absence of a menstrual period, meaning that a woman has never had one.

Secondary amenorrhea refers to the absence of a period for three consecutive cycles. With this type of amenorrhea, the woman would have gotten her period in the past before it stopped. Secondary amenorrhea can be permanent or temporary, and it can have many causes.

Should I be worried if I miss a period?

If you miss one period, it is not necessarily cause for concern. Stress or environmental factors can cause you to skip a cycle, but in most cases, your cycle will return to normal in the next month.

This is not considered a medical condition, and it is not amenorrhea. If you are concerned, you may visit a gynecologist, but more than likely, she will tell you to monitor your condition and to let her know if you miss another period. Try not to stress over it because stress can impact your cycle.

Why does amenorrhea happen?

There is a lot that happens in order for you to get your period each month. The pituitary gland at the base of your brain signals the ovaries to secrete hormones to start the process.

Any disorder that disrupts any part of the delicate process can lead to amenorrhea. The most common cause of amenorrhea is pregnancy, so it is not always a bad thing! However, conditions like hypothalamic problems, anorexia or extreme exercise can also play a role - especially in secondary amenorrhea.

Primary amenorrhea may also occur from the same issues, depending on the stage in life when these issues take place, but more commonly stems from a genetic or anatomic condition.

Can taking the pill cause amenorrhea?

This is not a silly question because experts previously thought that taking the pill might increase a woman's chances for developing amenorrhea.

Fortunately, this has been found to be untrue.

It is certainly possible for a woman to stop taking the pill without returning to normal cycles, but there is usually another reason. For example, a woman may be underweight or over exercising and experience amenorrhea that just happens to be found after the pill is stopped.

When should I seek medical treatment for amenorrhea?

It is never a bad time to visit the doctor if you have missed a period. She will probably run a pregnancy test, and then may even take a "wait and see" approach, but there is no reason to wait if you are concerned about a missed period.

You may just find that pregnancy is the cause - and it would be much better to know this sooner rather than later. If you are pregnant, you may need to eliminate some bad habits or risky behaviors, and you will also need to start taking a prenatal vitamin.

6 reasons why you need to take a prenatal vitamin before getting pregnant.

Have a question? Please leave a comment below.

New Join the Discussion!

  1. Sue Jan 27, 2017
    I had sex on Sunday, 22/01 and my period came on Tuesday 24/01. But my period isn't heavy like it usually is. I bleed a bit then stop. It has been doing it for 4 days now. Also, my back is so sore. I haven't experienced this kind of pain before. It's too early to take a test, but is it even possible that I could be pregnant?
    Reply
  2. Vanessa Jan 30, 2017
    What could make a lady bleed lightly on the 19th day if her cycle? Could it be that she is pregnant?
    Reply
  3. ZAINAB Feb 11, 2017
    I had my period on the first of January. My next period, please?
    1. Christina (OC Team): Enter your cycle information into your Ovulation Calculator account for a prediction of your fertile window and next menstrual period. - (Feb 12, 2017)
    Reply
  4. Michelle Feb 20, 2017
    I been logging for about 5 months now and I have a 5-day period. Now on the 11th of Feb, it started. It was red the 1st day then brownish red the next. I only had to use liners. It was light and i stopped on the 13th. I spotted for a few days after. I took two tests on the 9th and 20th. Could this have been implantation bleeding. When should I test?
    Reply
  5. Mary Feb 22, 2017
    I had sex on 28 Jan and my period is on the 18th. Can I get pregnant?
    Reply

Add your own comment


Drag to See

Close Image